Saturday, March 14, 2009

FACELESS PORTRAIT OR JUST ART!



Bill Durgin’s incredible ‘Figure Studies’ series transcends traditional photography into sculpting a piece of art with one’s camera. The images are the result of complex arrangements of the body parts which require extreme flexibility and contortion by the model to achieve an “austere effect contortion.”
The images showcase the beauty of the human body, and as with some of the famous Greek statues, Durgin’s creations are headless. The focus is on the body, not the face.
The New York based Durgin will have a solo exhibition at the Merge Gallery entitled “Figurations.” The exhibit will be open between September 4, 2008 and October 11, 2008.
Upon first glance, Durgin’s photographs possess a certain ominous and disturbing quality, the figures appear slightly grotesque as in Lucien Freud’s figure studies. This quality is also enhanced through the figure’s relationship to the specific architectural space – the studio. The composition is carefully considered, the colors range from light and airy to slightly moodier and grim. What remains is the beauty of the figure and the mystery behind it. The effect can be haunting but is also captivating and stunning.
Well certainly fascinating if not inspiring imagery. Not sure though about the concept of the family portrait in the living room framed so eloquently... Could be perceived as slightly disturbing but the human body comes in many forms with or without particularly important body parts such as, let me think, your face! Personally, I find these images interesting and thought-provoking with just a hint of confusion as to how it is possible to wrap oneself up so perfectly! Or did I hear the word 'photo editing'. I will let you decide. KylieB
Check out http://www.trendhunter.com/trends/figure-studies-by-bill-durgin and let us know your perspective

4 comments:

  1. could make for an interesting coffee table, saucers required. owyn ;-]

    ReplyDelete
  2. To be honest my first response was "err" because they look like strange penises.
    I know everyone would have thought this but not have said it so I felt the need to let it out haha.
    Apart from that, I think the people actually got into a position to hide the head instead of editing it out. I think this because I think those positions are definitely possible.
    The images to me portray a huge amount of lonliness without any personality of the people, just simply their mid section.
    I don't like them at all, I couldn't imagine hanging them on my wall anyways.

    Nicole

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think abstract art is the name for this, i like anything abstract that makes you view an image longer to try and figure out what the image is about. I love the compositions used, especially the leading doorways etc. Not a huge fan of the colours and bright lighting in some as it is too sterile for me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love these images! I love how you need to view them for a longer amount of time to figure out what they are, and what they mean. I think everything about these images work so well. They have a lot of feelings involved in such a simple image. Jess. E

    ReplyDelete