Monday, March 23, 2009

SHADOW FASHION PHOTOGRAPHY



These images (published in Numero Magazine 2008) by fashion photographer Solve Sundsbo (Norweign photographer in London) caught my attention immediately. He is famous for his experiementation with photography though the lens. I love these images because the shadows give another dimension creating mystery. The shadows on the model appear to form part of the model's clothing, like a tight cat suit or stocking with patterns. I'm not sure if he is trying to replicate animal prints through the shadows as the model with the pocker dots above seems to be in an animal pose, maybe a dalmation? The added orange lipstick on the bottom image leads me to think about tiger stripes and her position is very cat like. See what you think.

3 comments:

  1. I definitely agree that the form of the shadows and the poses are designed to mimic big cats, cheetah and tiger. Subtle uses of colour reinforce this link from abstract to plain obvious. I like the crisp sharpness and deep contrast achieved in the shadows, though i suspect some, just a little, post production was used to effect. -- owyn --

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally agree with Owyn. the colour, posing and shadows definitely does make these images. Ordinarily i dont think this shadow effect would work very well, it is a very risky move. but in this case i think it does with this 'animal' meaning behind it. -Robyn.C

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like the images and did think of a tiger straight away too. It's very much arty rather than fashion in my eyes as there is actually no clothing to fashion, so I don't see it working well commercially.

    ReplyDelete